Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Gargnano - Our First Full Day (September 27, 2026)

It is creeping towards 6:00AM and I have been awake for a rediculously long time already. I tried just laying in bed listening to the waves of Lake Garda lap against the shore a few meters away; didn’t lull me back to sleep. I tried listening to some podcasts to ease back into sleep but that did not work either. I suppose I am just awake for the day after 6 or so hours of sleep.

In two hours the sun will be rising over the eastern shoreline mountains and we can go to breakfast. That has been dissapointing here. I don’t expect all hotels to have varied large assortments of breakfast items let alone a chef dedicated to making you a personalized omelette. I do expec food items that should be served hot to actually be hot. That also applies to drinks especially in a country where coffee and espresso drinks are supposed to be vital to cultural existence. We are not reaching that level here. THe scenery is pleasing to the eye; the sustenance is sufficient but that is about all that can be said and even then I feel I might be stretching the point.

We planned to tackle the skinny loop walk that would let us see what is just to our north. But that plan fell apart as we climbed the 10-12 meters up a narrow alley. I was feeling crummy. Just not good in several ways. We changed plans and instead returned to lake level and ventured into, and not much beyond, the heart of Gargnano. Finding the coffee place along the way and having properly hot cappucinos help improve our mood. The numerous small shops along the way were interesting. You aren’t doing this walk to immerse yourself in nature (there may well be trails high on the cliff sides). For an adjusted plan and all things considered we did alright.

The afternoon was spent resting. At least that is what I did. Mom and Dad did check out the “beach” the hotel has mentioned but if there is a sandy spot on it they did not find it: stones, stones, rocks, and stones.

Dinner on the lakeside patio. We clearly are not the right appreciative audience. Even though it sounded like the lamb I had the first night should have taken longer to reach me (they noted that it takes 25 minutes to prepare) my beef steak with mushrooms definitely took longer. From sit down to departure we were there 90 minutes and the bulk, the vast bulk, of that time was spent waiting. We had appetizers too but the break between those and our main courses was not short. I enjoy a liesurely meal. But there is a difference from leisurely and just slow. I enjoy the afternoons doing the Sunday barbecues at home but that also feels more rewarding and, to be honest, I think I make better food more often than not. Perhaps we lack some proper meassure of sophistication but we are looking forward to eating dinner outside of the hotel the next night. We just need to avoid getting squished by the traffic.

Photos

Photo taken Sep 27, 2026 at 11:15 AM

Sitting on a bench on a lakeside promenade waiting for Mom and dad to return from a little exploring. I am feeling beaten down by the bug that I caught. We haven’t, and won’t, do much of the walk that travels a northern loop beyond Gargnano.

--September 27, 2026 at 11:15 AM.

Maps are centered on the photo: Google map, Apple map, CalTopo mapOpenTopoMap map

Photo taken Sep 27, 2026 at 3:46 PM

A beach of stones with a view of Lake Garda. This is given special notice by the hotel staff. I suppose because it’s also their boat launch area.There is a lakeside bar too. If you want to get wet, wear water shoes. The lake bottom is rocky too. Photo by Jonathan.

--September 27, 2026 at 3:46 PM.

Maps are centered on the photo: Google map, Apple map, CalTopo mapOpenTopoMap map

No comments: