Monday, November 2, 2020

Bisquick Muffin Bske on a Trangia Stove

photo taken 8:26 AM

A Trangia burner sitting inside a 5” titanium G2 Firebox Stove. A big muffin is baking in the Self Reliance pot using a round 3x3-inch dish.

I am getting ready for a two-night backpacking trip. Since this is going to be a short trip, under ridiculously warm weather conditions for the season, on pretty gentle trail, I think I will tackle more involved cooking. I hope to use my large titanium Firebox stove. The 6’5-inch G2 titanium stove in its Cordura case weighs in at 600 grams (21.25 ounces). If I use the Trangia with simmer ring that will add another 95 grams (3.3 ounces). I’ll bring the alcohol burner as backup in case I fail to make good wood-burning fires in the Firebox. I wanted to make sure I could do a long burn with the Trangia so I baked a big chocolate chip muffin. It was a tasty success.

A lot has been written about backcountry baking and I doubt I can add much. I used a titanium pot from Self Reliance which has both a side-mounted handle and bail-style handle which should stay cool even if flames lick up the sides of the pot. My baking dish was a 3-inch diameter by 4’3 inches tall trimmed down Fat Daddios dish which I placed on a 0.5 or so inch tall spacer. I let it bake until the fuel burner out which was about 35-40 minutes and used up about 1.5 ounces of fuel which was certainly more than I needed. Cooking conditions: about 30 F (-1 C) with a breeze blowing around 10MPH (16 KPH).




No comments: