Tuesday, August 27, 2019

PODCAST: NCT Summer Solo Backpacking Trip -Part 1


It has been 9 years since I did a solo backpacking trip. That trip was my second Great Outdoors Challenge crossing of Socttland from Mallaig to Stonehaven. While that was a solo trip I probably met people every day and hiked with them at least some of the time. This hike on the North Country Trail would not only be solo but I expected it would be solitary except at major campgrounds. In this two-part series I travel from Mackinaw City, Michigan to Petowskey, Michigan. In some ways it proves to be a great trip; in other ways not so much.

In part 1 join me for the first 3 days of the hike from Mackinaw City to Levering Road. That is a distance of about 28 trail miles though I actually walked more than that.

Photo taken August 14 2019 at 11:53:42

The actual North Country Trail (NCT) is running across the Mackinac Bridge behind me. I just dipped my toes in the waters of Lake Huron here at Gary R. Witt Memorial park: close enough to the trail. I’ll eventually walk towards the bridge and thus closer to the trail as I head back towards the trailhead at Mackinaw Crossings. For what it is worth I believe my pack tips the scales at about 31 pounds (though it feels heavier). I am crying. 1 liter of water and , unfortunately, 1 quart denatured alcohol for stove fuel.

--August 14 2019 at 11:53:42. Mackinaw City, MI, United States

Photo taken August 15 2019 at 06:55:56

Good morning. It is a bit sad that my first campsite had the prettiest morning.

--August 15 2019 at 06:55:56. Mackinaw City, MI, United States

Photo taken August 15 2019 at 06:58:29

Sunrise at French Farm Lake.

--August 15 2019 at 06:58:29. Mackinaw City, MI, United States

Photo taken August 16 2019 at 13:30:51

A panoramic view of Ssturgeon Bay at the Lakeview Trailhead beach. I spent a bit more time than neccessary to get and treat water. This was a nice place to pause after the first few miles hiking from the Pines campground in Wilderness State Park.

--August 16 2019 at 13:30:51. Levering, MI, United States


Check out this episode

No comments: