Saturday, August 24, 2019

NCT Hike Day 1: Mackinaw City to French Farm Lake

It is time to put any doubts aside. Through the aid of the North Country Trail Hiking Community group on Facebook I was able to arange a shuttle from Pellston airport to Mackinaw City. That went perfectly. I was able to buy alcohol stove fuel but only in a 1-quart container with a safety lid (this becomes important later). Dennis then dropped me off at the trailhead parking lot which is behind the Mackinaw Crossing shopping center. So far; so good. Now I weighed my pack before I left and thought it registered about 28.5 pounds without fuel and water. With those added it should have weighed about 32 pounds which is pretty heavy for me. As I write this journal on the fifth day (yes, dear reader, I did not do it as I went but you will se why), with no water and about 10 ounces of fuel (was able to give a lot away) I swear it is still over - well over - 30 pounds. Ugh. But that is just a mass I have to bear up under. Too much food and the “not hiking” clothing can be blamed (sure this keyboard weighs 7 ounces but that’s just 7 ounces).

Photo  taken August 14 2019 at 11:53:42

The actual North Country Trail (NCT) is running across the Mackinac Bridge behind me. I just dipped my toes in the waters of Lake Huron here at Gary R. Witt Memorial park: close enough to the trail. I’ll eventually walk towards the bridge and thus closer to the trail as I head back towards the trailhead at Mackinaw Crossings. For what it is worth I believe my pack tips the scales at about 31 pounds (though it feels heavier). I am crying. 1 liter of water and , unfortunately, 1 quart denatured alcohol for stove fuel.

--August 14 2019 at 11:53:42. Mackinaw City, MI, United States

After dealing with purchases and saying goodbye to Dennis I had to try and find the shore of Lake Huron so I could say I saw it and maybe even dip a toe in. I did not step on the actual trail but got near to it at the Gary R. Witt Memorial Park. Before I could plan to get a toe wet Lake Huron flooded my shoe for me. Well the water was warm enough and the day was warm enough so not really a problem. Besides I had to have lunch so things would dry before the hiking started.

Between one thing and another lunch took a while and I didn’t start hiking, really hiking I’d already been on part of the trail, until about 14:30. The rails to trails segment is nice enough. Hard on the feet but easy to follow. Easy until you walk by the turn-off for the NCT. Walk back. Walk Past. Walk back. Find post marking turn but no obvious trail. Ponder. Muse. Look at the map. Get info from Andy. Look some more. A runner points out the big blue arrow and there is the trail. A rather faint trail. There goes 30-40 minutes.

Photo  taken August 14 2019 at 16:34:35

Yes, this is a big blaze marking the trail. But appearently size does not matter as I failed to see the trail here. It is, as far as I am concerned, faint. In fact, the trail through the forest here is a bit hard to see and undergrowth is certainly encroaching on boardwalks you trod through parts of this first 1.5 or so miles of forest trail off the rails to trails (which is also about 1.5 miles).

--August 14 2019 at 16:34:35. Mackinaw City, MI, United States

This faint trail feels right underfoot but seems a bit narrow. It also has a few blowdowns to climb over but I suppose they will get dealt with in time. Dense forest. Buggy too. Then you pop out in an open space for a moment before returning to the woods. In time after more hill walking you come to your first campsite on French Farm Lake. A lone little site with fire ring and some camping related stuff at it bu no car. No people either. I moved on and the next site had a couple vehicles and tents and people. Repeat a few more times. All full. I found what may be a legal site, comfy enough though no fire ring, and set up there. It was well after 19:00 and by the time camp chores and such were done the sun was definitely setting. A long day for a short hike and I did not really get any photos of the lake.

Photo  taken August 14 2019 at 18:58:59

I got to the campsites here at French Farm Lake well before I took this picture. The first lonely site was right on the trail. The next, with people, was nice enough but occupied (I checked some options behind them but am glad I did not pick them). The third was also occupied as was the fourth. I found this, likely unofficial, site with easy access to the lake.

--August 14 2019 at 18:58:59. Mackinaw City, MI, United States

Distance hiked: Closer to 6 miles than 5 with my navigation mix ups. COuld be even more than that since I took long way to get to Lake Huron and back to trailhead.
Weather: sunny, clear, probably about 80F

No comments: