Monday, August 26, 2019

NCT Hike Day 3: Pines Campsite 242 to Levering Road (sort of)

While I can’t say I had a superb night’s sleep it was better than I expected given the sizze of the campground. I had feared hearing generators all night but I didn’t hear them even during the daylight hours. In fact the loudest thing I heeard were the kids, especially one very young one, riding their bikes and tricycles around the loop road. Around and around and around. I was able to get myself together and on the trail a little before 09:00.

Photo  taken August 16 2019 at 10:34:17

The first few miles of NCT departing Pines campground seem to follow what I suspect is snowmobile trail. It is practically flat and the footing is good so I actually made decent time. If the bugs had not been so persistent it would have been a nearly perfect morning. But I suppose the bugs love this area which is definitely a bit swampy and has streams, like this, and ponds.

--August 16 2019 at 10:34:17. Carp Lake, MI, United States

I thought finding the NCT from the campground would be tricky but that turned out not to be a problem. I found the campground entrance and from there it was pretty clear where I had to go. The chained off dirt roads (snowmobile trails?) give one pause but it was clear I had to pass the barriers: so I did. It is easy going. A bit buggy but easy going. I can’t really say it is lovely hiking but the woods are pleassant enough. You meander through the rest of Wilderness State Park and strong hikers will no doubt zoom through the region. I think I reached the Lakeview trailhead around 13:00.

Photo  taken August 16 2019 at 13:30:51

A panoramic view of Ssturgeon Bay at the Lakeview Trailhead beach. I spent a bit more time than neccessary to get and treat water. This was a nice place to pause after the first few miles hiking from the Pines campground in Wilderness State Park.

--August 16 2019 at 13:30:51. Levering, MI, United States

That is a nice spot with a lovely beach. I found several cars parked but only saw one family at the beach near me. Not sure where everyone else was: not on the NCT. I spent a little more time there than strictly needed to just get water. I still had 8 miles to go.

Photo  taken August 16 2019 at 14:56:34

I think this is the highpoint in the Lakeview to Sturgeon Bay section: msybe 130 feet above Lake Michigan. Lots of hills in this area. I’m not sure why Sturgeon Bay even comes up because you certsinly are never near water (I suppose you could walk northwrst on Lakeshore Road and get to Lake Michigan in 0.5 milrs).

--August 16 2019 at 14:56:34. Levering, MI, United States

The trail between Lakeview and Sturgeon Bay trailhead is full of hills. They aren’t that high but they are numerous. I am confident my pack still weighs more than 30 pounds, far more than I want (I packed too much food), and that slowed me down as the heat and bugs got to me. You’re moving through forest with limited views. The view I found at a bench was nice but I thought I’d see the bay from that highpoint: no.

It should have been an easier last stretch around Wycamp Lake but navigation faux-pas ruined that. When the NCT pops out on a two-track just north of Wycamp Lake (MI-572.25 or so) it uses the two-track for a moment and then veers closer to the lake on its own trail. I missed that turn and followed the road (looking at where I turned around later I think I could have followed a road to the dam). Seemed to make sense. Eventually I realized my error and backtracked, tried to bushwhack to the trail but that was a no go, and then got in touch with Andy. He helped orient me and in way too much time, though maybe not as much as it felt, I found the NCT and then the dam that crossed the creek that flows out of Wycamp Lake. If my troubles had ended there I would have been fine but I got burned again by two-tack/trail junctions. Once again Andy was helpful and between him, me, a couple different map tools (Avenza, GaiaGPS, Apple) I worked my way along two-tracks instead of the NCT to the boat launch on Wycamp Lake. It was definitely past 20:15 when I got there. I was annoyed. I did not even snap a photo of the pretty calm, though dimpled with a bit of rain, Wycamp Lake. I just plopped my backpack on the grassy verge and began to set up camp.

While I did that a lone boat was puttering back to the launch and the lone pickup truck there. When the fellow and his little (though very nice) dog got out I was just starting to pitch the Solplex. It was sprinkling and he asked if I’d like to stay at his property under a roof in his wood shed (more than that it would turn out). I accepted. Richard K was a wonderful host. His family, and I gather it is a big one with lots and lots of cousins, aunts, and uncles, live in the area. He knows the area well but did not really know much about the NCT except that it exists and he would see a traveller once every now and then. He got me settled in the woodshed which is also a place to do serious wood cutting and other stuff. He gave me a gallon jug of water, a couple bananas, and homemade by his wife oatmeal cherry cookies: a superb host.

I was frustrated by my troulbe with finding the trail. I was annoyed that I failed to take more photos and video. Maybe the trail wasn’t that picturesque but I could have done more. I am also grateful for the kindness of a local fellow who saw someone who he felt he might be able to help improve things a bit. Purists will probably complain that I skipped about 1.0 mile of trail but I don’t care. I spent plenty of extra miles exploring, unwillingly, the back roads around Wycamp Lake.

No comments: